The part as lifeguard in the U.S. TV series Baywatch gained Pamela Anderson worldwide popularity in the late 80’s. The Canadian-born actress played the California girl C.J. that came back home to become a lifeguard again. In this role she tries to help her friends in anyway she can and cares about animals, especially dogs and marine mammals. But her affection to save the life of animals goes much beyond the screen. The Baywatch star joined the animal rights organization Peta in order to fight the cruel slaughter of chickens. Since more than a decade the actress keeps doing this.
“When I learned from my friends at Mercy For Animals that as many as a million chickens are scalded alive every year at slaughterhouses in the U.S., I was sick to my stomach”, says Pamera Anderson. Although birds make up more than 95 percent of the animals killed for food in the U.S., they are not protected by the federal Humane Methods of Slaughter Act. "This means they are often killed in ways that would be illegal if the victims were cows or pigs.”
A new undercover investigation by Mercy For Animals exposes these terrible abuses at a Gordon Food Service chicken supplier. Gordon Food Service is the largest private foodservice provider in the country. Using hidden cameras, an investigator documented:
- Birds having their fragile wings and legs broken as they were recklessly and violently shackled upside down
- Severely sick, injured, and dying chickens sent through the slaughter line along with other birds intended for human consumption
- Frightened birds dragged through an electrified vat of water, painfully shocked but left fully conscious
- Birds having their throats sliced open while still conscious and able to feel pain
- Live, conscious birds scalded to death in feather-removal tanks.
“We cannot allow this to continue!”, emphasizes the actress. “Gordon Food Service has not only enormous purchasing power and influence, but also the moral responsibility to end many of the worst forms of institutionalized animal abuse in its poultry supply chain. Please, take a moment to sign my petition calling on Gordon Food Service to stop torturing chickens.